Monday, January 3, 2011

Pantry Chicken Chili

I love chili. I think it is one of the perfect foods. I love the fact that it is a one pot meal and it freezes really well. It can be made relatively cheaply and cheese makes it even better. Cheese makes most things better, but especially chili. I decided that I wanted to make a chili for the new year, but I didn't want to go store; I wanted to make a chili with what I had. I usually have black beans on hand (they may be the perfect food). I had a some tomatoes and a pepper and I definitely had some frozen chicken. Again, I don't have exact measurements on things, but I will give you a list of what I scrounged to throw in the chili.

Ingredients:
3 pieces of Grilled Chicken (with no salt magic seasoning blend of spices) cut into squares
4 cans 16oz black beans, rinsed (I really like black beans)
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (chopped)
additional herbs and spices, including smoked paprika, cracked red pepper, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, and cumin; couple of teaspoons of hot sauce

Prep everything above. While the chicken is grilling, I usually prep everything else. I separate each food into piles, and put them in the order they are supposed to go into the pot (I may be a little bit ocd...)
Chicken cut up into little pieces

All the ingredients prepped and ready to go.

 I start with a bit of olive oil in the pan and make sure that it is ready for the onions. I allow the onions to saute until they are transparent. I usually add a bit of pepper, some salt, and some unrefined sugar.

Then I add the red pepper and garlic. I allow that to saute and soften. Continue to stir the onions, peppers and garlic. Once it is softened, I usually add some hot sauce and allow that to infuse into the veggies.
I allow this to saute a bit more and may add some cracked red pepper and some additional spices (see above). I like to allow some of the bits to coat the walls of the pot, it gives it a bit more of a smokey flavor.
I then add the black beans and mix it in. Often, it gets a little dry, so I add a splash of chicken stock to scrape the sides and bottom of the pot (scrape any fond that may have collected). I also add the chipotle peppers, making sure to add all the adobo sauce. I also fill the chipotle can halfway with water or chicken stock to get the sauce off the sides of the can. The sauce adds a nice smokey flavor.

Once everything has softened and integrated, I add the chicken and stir. I allow the liquid in the chili to coat the chicken.
I may also add some more spices to taste. I also like to add some herbes de provence (because it goes with everything!) just a splash to add a bit of green flavor, but make sure that it doesn't over power the flavor.
I add the tomatoes, though I did drain some of the liquid in the tomato can because it the tomatoes will create liquid on their own. Stir in the tomatoes.

Stir all the ingredients, turn the heat down, cover and allow to simmer. I usually allow this to simmer for about a half an hour. At this point, I clean the kitchen, because, hey, it has got to get done.
Taste the chili and add any seasoning as needed. Once ready, serve. I like to serve with some shaved white cheddar, and a side of lime tortilla chips.

Delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully done! And what a nice pot you have! I look forward to more recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kelly, Thanks for the comment! I will definitely add more recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete